How I Got the Google Digital Guru Green Belt 2020 Certification from Google
I started my journey as a Medical Business Associate at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals before getting into Digital Marketing. I joined upGrowth as a digital marketing intern and continued as a PPC Executive.
For more than 2 years, I have been managing Google Ads accounts at upGrowth. Till now, I have worked on 20+ PPC accounts from the BFSI, healthcare, education, NPO & e-commerce sectors.
As a platform, I found Google Ads to be a very mature & customer-oriented advertising tool. What gives Google Ads an upper hand over other advertising platforms is its advanced targeting features like custom-intent audience, household income etc. In addition, powerful machine learning associated with Google Ads offers new dimensions to advertisers.
Working at upGrowth
upGrowth is a growth hacking-marketing agency that enables both start ups & established businesses to achieve rapid and sustainable growth.
We use data to understand what clicks with customers to ensure a continuous flow of prospects by marketing on the right channels. Our team is dedicated to helping your business scale swiftly and disrupt markets through data-driven marketing solutions and creative campaigns that drive customer acquisition and engagement.
2018 – Google Partner
upGrowth earned the Google Partner Badge in 2018.
Google Partners is a marketing program for third-party advertising agencies that manage Google Ads accounts for other businesses.
By meeting the requirements as prescribed by Google, advertising agencies can earn the Google Partner or Google Premium Partner Badge.
The badge implies that certain employees at upGrowth have demonstrated Google Ads skill and expertise by passing assessments and earning certifications through Google skillshop. The badge also shows that upGrowth has met Google Ads spend requirements and delivered client revenue growth.
2019 – Google Elevator
Last year (2019) we had the opportunity to become part of the “Google Elevator Partner” program.
Google Elevator is a digital advertising agency program that works with select digital agencies that demonstrate high performance for their clients and show capabilities for rapid growth.
2020 – Google Green Belt Certification
This year me and other Google Ads experts earned the Google Green Belt Certification. Google Green Belt Certification program is an exclusive program, meant only for the most valuable agency partners – there are hardly 150+ Google Green Belt holders in India.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Google conducted this event as an online session. This was a special batch and the first one online since the commencement of Google Green Belt Certification Program.
“Digital Marketing Guru Verified By Google.” Doesn’t That Sound Interesting?
What Is A Google Digital Guru?
The Google Ads official team trains you to be a full-time digital marketer and enables new career possibilities for industry professionals.
The entire training program, powered by Google, was conducted online on 23rd July 2020.
The purpose of the program is to empower the most dedicated and talented individuals in digital marketing to become experts in Google Ads tools.
It was an opportunity for selected members from agencies, brands and other different corners of the country (India) to advance their Google performance advertising expertise, which is then used as a benchmark for their position in the industry. The program covers business overview and in-depth product implementation of the 5 As of Performance Excellence including Ad formats, Audiences, Always on, Automation, and Attribution.
What Is Google Green Belt Certification?
The Green Belt track focuses on Google Ads practitioners and search specialists to help agencies create, optimize, measure and report search campaigns for their clients.
The Google Green Belt Certification is a first step towards achieving a bigger milestone. The program is divided into 3 levels: Green (Foundation), Blue (Advanced), and Black Belt (Pitch Stimulation), each of which is a prerequisite to the next. At the end of this training program, the individual is labeled as a ‘Digital Guru’.
The Learning Path
The selected candidates went through the following steps during their journey to grab Green Belt Certification.
- Intro Quiz 2020
Every selected candidate has to pass this pre-qualifying quiz-cum-exam to participate in the Google Green Belt Certification training.
There were a total of 35 questions out of which 17 had to be answered correctly. Let’s take a look at some of the questions below.
- Online Session
Product Excellence Track
Business overview and in-depth product implementation of the 5 Aces of Performance Excellence. This track focused on ads practitioners and search specialists to help them create, optimize, measure and report search/display/YouTube campaigns for their clients.
Business Excellence Track
Product overview and translating the 5 Aces of Performance Excellence to business objectives. This track focused on planners to help them plan for search, display, YouTube campaigns as per different business objectives of their clients.
Let’s observe the different dimensions Google’s team covered during the entire session.
Workshop (Group Activity)
In between sessions, there were 2 case studies. Here, groups were created with different participants. Each group had a different case study.
The objective of this workshop was to enhance the “working with the team” attitude of the candidates.
As a team we were asked to go through the case study; discuss the questions given, reason it and provide a rationale behind that answer.
Take a look at the case study and questions given below.
- Lead Generation based case study
- Brand Awareness based case study
You need to prove that you are worthy of being called ‘Digital Guru’ – hence you must clear the final exam.
To get ‘Green Belt’ Certified’ you must get atleast 12 answers correct out of 17 questions.
The final verdict – I finally got my certification!
The journey doesn’t end here but it actually starts. Google Green Belt certified candidates are now eligible for ‘Google Blue Belt Certification’. This is an advanced certification training powered by Google. Individuals passing Google Blue Belt Certification advance for a final training program – Google Black Belt Certification.
What Is Google Green Belt Certification? The Green Belt track focuses on Google Ads practitioners and search specialists to help agencies create, optimize, measure and report search campaigns for their clients.
The Google Green Belt Certification is a first step towards achieving a bigger milestone. The Green Belt track focuses on Google Ads practitioners and search specialists. This is an exclusive program available to only the most valuable agency partners.
The aim of the program is to empower dedicated and talented individuals in digital marketing to become experts in Google Ads tools.
Discovery ads are a new offering from Google, where you can share your brand story with people across Google’s feeds when they are open to discovering new products and services.
The step-by-step process as prescribed by Google is as follows:
- Sign in to your Google ads account.
- On the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button then select New campaign.
- Choose a marketing objective: Sales, Leads, Website traffic or No goal.
- Select the Discovery campaign type, click Continue.
- Pick your geographic and language targeting for this campaign.
- Note that Ad Rotation and Frequency capping are not available for this campaign type.
- Select your audiences. There are several ways to target your Discovery campaigns to the right audience. You can add the following targeting options: custom intent audiences, remarketing and in-market.
- Select your bidding strategy and enter your average daily budget.
- Click Save and continue.
- Click Save.
YouTube is one of the most popular social media platforms there is, and as a brand, it would serve you well to advertise on it. There are several different types of YouTube ads you can opt for.
- Skippable in-stream ads: These ads play either before or during a video, and the defining feature is that viewers can choose to skip them after the first 5 seconds. As an advertiser, you pay only when viewers watch past those first 5 seconds. The ad must be minimum 12 seconds long. You pay when a person has watched the first 30 seconds, or the whole thing, or if they interact with your ad by clicking: whichever comes first.
- Non-skippable in-stream videos ads: These are pre-roll or mid-roll ads that don’t have a skip button. With these ads, advertisers pay per impression.
- Discovery ads: These are the ads that show up alongside organic search results. If the advertiser’s video looks more relevant and appealing than the search results, users can click and watch it instead. These ads usually include 3 lines of text along with a thumbnail. On clicking, users are sent to the advertiser’s page or YouTube channel.
- Non-video ads: For brands and advertisers that cannot afford video ads, YouTube has the option of non-video ads. These appear as display ads on the right hand sidebar with image, text and a CTA leading them to your site or landing page. There are also in-video overlay ads, which appear floating on top of videos on monetized YouTube channels.
You may be wondering how to use Google ads. It is actually not that difficult – here are the steps that show you how to use Google ads.
- Sign up: Go to the Google AdWords website and sign up with your Google account.
- Set your budget: Figure out your daily budget and set it so that you don’t go over your limit.
- Select your target audience: Specify the geographical location of your audience.
- Select a network: Choose between Google Search and Google Display network.
- Choose keywords: Keywords are the search terms or phrases a user enters into Google’s search box when they are conducting a search. Google lets you choose about 15-20 keywords that may trigger your ad to appear on the SERP. You can always edit these later on.
- Set your bid: Adwords works on a bidding model, and you have to define the amount of money you are willing to pay for every person that clicks on one of your ads.
- Write the ad: Create a compelling ad that convinces a user to click and visit your website.
- Create your ad: Once you have written your ad, click “save” and continue to the last step. This is where Google Google will ask you about your business and payment info. You will be charged when you have exhausted your set budget, or 30 days later, whichever comes first.
Keywords are an integral part of any ad campaign, because those are the exact words, terms and phrases people are searching for on the internet. Google Ads Keyword Planner helps you research keywords for your Search campaigns.
It is a free tool that can be used to discover new keywords related to your business and see estimates of the searches they receive and the cost to target them. You don’t have to spend a dime to use it, all you need is your Google account.
With it, you can do a number of things, like discover new keywords and get suggestions, see monthly estimates of the number of searches a keyword gets, determine the average cost for your ad to show on searches for a keyword, organize keywords and create new campaigns.